Saturday, July 24, 2010

LUCKY STIFF

I told you I'd look at musical titles if they offered something sufficiently different - i.e. a more intimate size or style that wouldn't be quite like the big spring shows. This one fits that bill very nicely. It's the first show by Ahrens and Flaherty (Seussical, Ragtime, Once On This Island), and it fits not only in the musical genre but the comedy mystery as well. A bland, unassuming British shoe salesman learns he will inherit 6 million from his deceased uncle whom he's never met - on the condition that he takes the uncle's embalmed body on a whirlwind tour of Monte Carlo. If he fails, the money goes to the uncle's favorite charity, the Universal Dog Home of Brooklyn. The chief representative of that home is the leading man's chief antagonist and eventual love interest. Add to the mix a legally blind, gun-toting jealous wife, a nervous dentist and a French chanteuse, among other interesting characters.

WHAT'S GOOD ABOUT IT -
Funny, funny, funny! There is truly a laugh a minute in this one, and the songs carry the comedy as well as the book. The play is written for 10 actors playing 20 or so roles - so a cast of 20 is possible. The songs are clever and fun and very well written, as you'd expect from Ahrens-Flaherty, and can be performed with piano only. The sets feature a number of locations and could provide an interesting challenge to keep the flow of the scenes going. Yes, one actor will spend the evening being dearly departed Uncle Anthony in a wheelchair. Hilarious nightmare scene. Movement could be done by a student choreographer. All cast members don't have to be great singers, although all of them do sing.

WHAT'S NOT SO GOOD:
Some folks vehemently disagree with the concept of doing more than one musical property (others would do only musicals if they had their way). Roles are a little heavier on the male side, although the female roles are wonderful. There would have to be some lightening of a few sexual scenes, although it would be easy to bring it into community standards. Is the humor too dark for some?


You can look at more about Lucky Stiff at the MTI website - www.mtishows.com. What do you think? Post a comment!

8 comments:

  1. I think that this show sounds very interesting and as a 2 musical season supporter am disposed to point you in any way possible towards the musical possibility. It seems to me that if we were to do a musical this one would be ideal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the one that out of all the options, immediately jumps out at me as the obvious choice. The downsides are really only that some people don't want to do a double musical season but other than that it sounds perfect! Let's do it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i really like this one as well, and i haven't been a supporter of double musicals, but this one sounds quite intriging

    ReplyDelete
  4. First of all, I don't understand the "comment as" thing, so in case I messed that up, this is Sarah. Second, this show actually seems kind of perfect for us...I know a lot of people don't want to do two musicals, but it is not a big, flashy production number and the plot seems pretty play-ish. This is my choice out of all of the options so far.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This one sounds great! I love the musical part, and the set sounds do-able.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am not, by any means, a double musical supporter. I think it really leaves people out.

    HOWEVER,

    It seems liek the perfect way to get people's feet wet. I love the concept and with a possible 20 roles it is too good to pass up. I love everything it has going for it and in all honesty the "Not so good" didn't have much under it like all the rest.

    I would love to be able to work on this show becuase it seems like a lot of fun. I'm usre the girls will be able to handle a show that is not centered around them. Crew will have a field day with this one, and the other crews get to play around as well.

    This one has my vote (assuming, like the others that i have one, goes to this one)

    -Kev

    ReplyDelete
  7. Reading the concept for this, I think it sounds more like a play concept than a musical concept. But if its the people who did seussical, ragtime (did NOT know they were by the same people) and once on this island, you know the songs are good. I could go either way in the two-musical controversy, but I throw my support to Lucky Stiff.
    -Aaron

    ReplyDelete
  8. I must admit, even though I'm dead-set on not doing a double musical, this sounds terrific for us. It doesn't seem to be the typical mold of a musical, which is refreshing, but it retains the charm of a musical. I like it.

    ReplyDelete